PERSONAL: 2018 Review.

It's almost the time of year where people start writing reviews of the year so I thought I'd get slightly ahead of the game and present a very quick round up of 2018. 

The Lows

There are a few that I won’t detail for personal reasons – this year has been a tough one, and I’m still processing a lot of the things that have happened.  However, a short summary of the lows :
-          Spending vast amounts of time hunting highly specific paperwork.
-          The DLA-PIP transfer.  I’m not going to call it Kafkaesque.  It’s worse than that.
-          Getting barged out of the way while attempting to get to a train, causing me to miss the train and a talk I was excited about hearing.
-          While it could have been worse dealing with the worst case of student mental health (lack of) support I have ever seen. 
-           
The Highs

There have been a surprising number of these linked to all sorts of things.
-          Getting a working diagnosis for both my conditions.  I can’t understate how big a deal this was for me and the difference it has made.
-          Taking part at the Medievalist with Disabilities disIMC Roundtable at IMC 2018, including getting to meet some people in person who I felt like I’d known for years.
-          Getting a plan together for my thesis and actually starting the first draft of a chapter in this version.
-          Getting both the papers I submitted for IMC 2019 accepted!  

It’s been a difficult year, but there has been a whole bundle of positives to hang on to and a lot of things to look forward to in the coming year including a planned visit to the BL Anglo-Saxons exhibition in January, a bundle of papers to finish, and more research to do! 

Comments

Popular Posts